Monday 10 April 2017

A slow weekend.

The hustle and bustle of the week is over and except for work on Tuesday I have two weeks holiday. Don't you just love a week off to catch up on things and do just what you want. I made a start on doing just that on Friday. Lucy and I took Scamp for a long walk over the common. It was warm and sunny and we talked as we ambled along. It was great to catch up on the gossip and make plans for next week as Lucy is on holiday as well. It was also lovely to see the bluebell in bloom.


Having walked we then had a pedicure. So relaxing and I love the colour of my nail varnish. 


When we arrived home my subscription box had arrived which is always fun. This is a small box and can fit through our letterbox easily. Even though it's little I haven't had time to start any projects using the contents from the last three boxes so I hoping to do that next week. I hate having pretty fabric and projects just sat around waiting to be made.


There are some hand quilting needles in the box which is good as I'd been meaning to buy some but I just haven't got round to it.

Over the weekend I've been having a bit of a cleaning frenzy (not too much of one so don't panic). Work has been very busy this year and with my chemo it's been the housework that has gone to the wall. My family have been great and kept the everyday cleaning up to date but it's the extra bits that needed doing such as cleaning under the beds and restoring order to cupboards and drawers. As I've sorted and cleaned quite a lot of stuff has gone to the charity shop and some straight in the rubbish bin. The weather has also been beautiful over the weekend so in between cleaning I've had lots of walks.

By evening I've been ready for a rest and a slower pace. I wanted to do a little more work on Millicent before I put her away. I'm not sure why but she really captured my imagination and I want to get her finished.


I'm satin stitching the patches on her dress and I found some silver thread for the hat pin (you can just catch the glitter).

This month I'm working on Gertrude and she is another cute lady. I started work on her on Sunday having finally put Millicent away. I was catching up with a couple of TV programmes so my stitching was extra slow but very relaxing.


I also needed to cut out some paper templates for my grandmother's garden quilt. These are 1 inch hexies and I usually print out 10 sheets at a time. This was always my go to project for stitching during my train journeys to work when I'm in Reading but I haven't been doing that recently. I need to move this project forward a little and over the next few nights I'll cut the fabric before stitching by hand.



Finally I collected my wig on Wednesday last week. I still have quite a lot of my hair but it is rather thin and I look a bit like a monk with a very large patch on the top of my head being covered by new soft fluffy hair. I'm impressed it's growing back nice and dark and I hope it keeps on doing that. Anyway I didn't want a wig in my natural colour and John said he didn't marry a blond so what else could I do but go red. The fringe needs a trim and as a result the wig is not positioned on my hairline in this picture. It also needs a little shaping but it is fun to wear. My older daughter's friend Joanna is going to sort it for me over the holiday.


Sorry I'm looking a bit grumpy but I'd not used the camera on my new phone and couldn't get the forward facing camera to work at first. As you can see it's long and curly. I just decided that I needed to have a little fun. During the summer, when all of my hair has gone I'm planning to have a henna tattoo on my head as it will be too hot to wear a hat, wig or scarves.

I'm linking this post to Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching  Pop over and see what everyone has been working on. For now I'm off to do a little more slow stitching on Gertrude, after all why only slow stitch on a Sunday.

Lyndsey


2 comments:

  1. I love Millicent's hair, it is turning out perfectly. And new hair for you too! It will look very smart when styled a bit to suit you. Love the bluebells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bag lady blocks are great fun with so many wonderful details!
    Enjoy your stitching... and your new hair!

    ReplyDelete